This ancestral home was built in the first half of the 16th century by the Suárez de Toledo family. The state acquired it in 1954 and renovated it. Since 1966 the Royal Chancery Archives have been located here.
The former layout was taken into consideration during its restoration: the storehouse, a seven-storey building attached to the house, was built over the courtyards and gardens. There are offices for civil servants on three of the floors.
The house was named after one of the members of the family, Francisco Suárez, known as Padre Suárez, a theologian, philosopher and lawyer born in Granada in 1548. His most important philosophical achievements were in the fields of metaphysics and the philosophy of law. Suárez is considered to be one of the leading figures of the School of Salamanca in its Jesuit period.