The Mezquita de Granada was opened in the summer of 2003 and it was the first mosque built in the city since it fell to the Catholic Kings in 1492. The Mosque of Granada represents the restoration of a missing link after a hiatus of 500 years and reminds of the rich Islamic cultural contribution to all spheres of human enterprise and activity.
It is located in the Albaicín district, the former Arab quarter, just a few metres away from the Mirador de San Nicolás.
The Mosque of Granada is composed of three main parts:
The garden looks out over the valley of the Río Darro and the Monte Sabika on which the Alhambra stands, against the backdrop of the peaks of the Sierra Nevada. It has many Mediterranean plants – including pine, olive, pomegranate, orange and lemon trees – as well as two classical Andalusian fountains.
The mosque is decorated soberly with traditional Muslim motifs. The prayer niche, or mirhab, which indicates the direction to Mecca, is an exact replica of the famous mihrab in the Mosque of Córdoba. The cedar wood panels from the Atlas Mountains are decorated with phrases from the Quran.
The Centre for Islamic Studies has a library that houses texts on Islam in Arabic, Spanish, English and other languages as well as audio visual aids. It has a conference hall with a capacity of 140 people as well as an exhibition area. The main reception area is on the lower floor by the entrance foyer, where there is a bookshop that sells craft items and souvenirs.