Founded as a convent by Isabel la Católica in 1504, the convent’s church was built between 1574 and 1592 on part of a former palace of Moorish rulers.
The church has a single nave, with the main chapel. The bowl of the baptismal font, taken from a former Islamic fountain, and the ceiling of the nave are fine examples of the region’s Andalusian legacy. The ceiling, with interlacing armature, is decorated with Plateresque paintings and is one of the most beautiful examples of Mudejar art.
The main chapel is Gothic, with pyramids, mouldings and scallop shell designs. The main altarpiece is also Gothic, lavishly decorated with paintings and sculptures of saints. Inside the chapel there are works of art by artists including Pedro de Mena or Bocanegra. Here there is also the tomb of the sculptor Bernardo Francisco de Mora.