This castle was built in the mid 13th century to help defend the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada. It is also known as the Hins Al-Muqlin, (literally the fortress of the two pupils). It was built to mark the frontier between the kingdoms of Granada and Castile.
The Castillo de Moclín was continuously besieged during the Hispano-Moorish settlement, falling into the hands of the Catholic Kings in 1486. It is purposely not symmetrical, as it was adapted to the jagged land it was built on. It is situated on the highest summit in the area, at more than 1000 meters above sea level. It is divided into two distinct parts.
The first part is defined by the outer walls, which are at their thinnest towards the west and the south, getting lower as they get nearer Tajos de la Hoz. At some points it is the rock not the wall that is used to defend. The entrance to the castle is typical of its time – an entrance gate with a pointed arc, connected to a corridor, running from west to east. Within this first part the “albacar” is also located, interior space between the alcazaba and the outer wall.
The second area of the castle, the alcazaba, can be reached along the Camino Real (the Royal Road) that still exists today. You enter this part of the castle through a more simply decorated gateway, also typical of the time. Here, the Torre de Homenaje tower stands out higher than the others. It is located in the north-eastern part of the enclosure, with views over Alcala La Real. Within the alcazaba, in the upper part, there is also an interesting and very large water cistern, which played an important role during the siege of the castle.
In 1931 this castle and its fortified walls were declared a Monument of National Interest.