This church stands at the foot of the remains of the Castillo de los Almendros, in the centre of the old town of Iznalloz. Its construction, of enormous cathedral-like proportions, was begun in the mid-16th century based on a design by Diego de Siloé.
It has many Renaissance features; it is rectangular in shape and has three naves separated by Corinthian pillars, and side chapels. The presbytery has a coffered dome decorated with cartouches and an imperial shield. One of the walls is decorated with the archbishop Guerrero’s coat of arms by the sculptor Alonso Hernández.
The slender bell tower has four sections, all beautifully built. The sacristy has a very valuable coffered ceiling. Its construction was stopped during the rebellion of the Moors in 1568 and was only partially finished when it was inaugurated in 1616, with some parts left unfinished.