This is one of the oldest gateways in the Alhambra. It used to lead into the citadel, giving access to the inner section of the fortified upper Alhambra.
Since 1556, the inhabitants of the Alhambra left the wine that they drank (which was exempt from taxation) at this gate, giving the gate its name. However, according to another theory, the name derived from a simple mix-up of words. Its ornate decoration is due to the fact that it did not serve a purpose.