Built on the ruins of Granada’s great royal mosque, this church is dedicated to St. Mary of the Alhambra. It was designed by Juan de Herrera, who began building it in 1581.
The floor plan is in the shape of a Latin cross, with six chapels attached to both sides of the nave. Inside there are interesting pieces of art such as the altarpiece by Juan López de Almagro.
The image of Saint Mary of the Alhambra is led out for the Holy Saturday procession every year and is one of the most festive Easter spectacles.