This church was built in 1525 on the site of the mosque in the Alcazaba district, one of the oldest districts in Granada. The mosque that dated back to the 9th century was particularly interesting as it was the only one that had a minaret before they became commonplace in Spain.
The minaret is one of the oldest constructions from the Islamic period, when Granada was the capital of the Taifa kingdom of the Zirid dynasty after the dismemberment of the Caliphate of Cordoba. The minaret was originally part of the mosque Masyid al-Murabitin, demolished in 1517, and was converted into a bell tower for the Iglesia de San José. It is a square tower with a staircase that runs around a central buttress, built with Romanesque and La Malahá stones. This stonework, as well as the horseshoe arch in one of the façades, reflects the on-going Caliphate influence on the architecture of the Taifa kingdom.