The Jardín Botánico was built in 1783 when the old building of the University of Granada was enlarged. Today, it is a beautiful garden next to the main Law Faculty building. The gateway is of particular interest: it is decorated with the reliefs of the botanists Don José Cavanilles and Gasca y Segura.
In the botanical garden there are 70 specimens of mature trees and a large number of bushes.
Interestingly the Ginkgo biloba tree is taller than the faculty building adjoining it. It is one of the first specimens of this species brought to Spain from Asia.