Federico García Lorca lived in Valderrubio for several years as a child. The family home of the poet and dramatist has been restored and made into a museum, which is now open to public. It was here that he learned a great deal about literature and where he wrote some of his most important early works. This place inspired him to write one of his best plays, La casa de Bernarda Alba.
The Lorca walk in Valderrubio also includes three places where Federico spent his summers: the Apeadero de San Pascual, where the family took the train when traveling to Granada; the Cortijo de Daimuz where, according to Lorca himself, was a Roman mosaic depicting the shepherds Daphnis and Chloe; and the Fuente de la Teja, that starts on the right bank of the Río Cubillas, in an area with many poplar trees, where the poet went almost every day.
Valderrubio is one of the newest municipalities in Granada and the 169th of the province. In 2013 the municipality split from Pinos Puente.
It is located to the northwest of the Vega de Granada, lying in the foothills of the Sierra de Parapanda. Valderrubio is a town of contrasts, because one site is made up of dry and arid land, whilst the other has the lush and green landscape of the plain.
For five centuries the town was called ‘Asquerosa’, a name that the locals were keen to change. They organised a meeting of the council of Pinos Puente on 29th January 1943 and officially changed the mane of the town to ‘Valderrubio’. Its current name literally means ‘the valley of light tobacco’, a reference to the successful local tobacco industry.