Located in the centre of a plain of orchards and olive groves, Órgiva is the capital of the region of La Alpujarra. It has a wide choice of tourist accommodation, good restaurants, countless bars and entertainment facilities.
The district of Órgiva is part of the Parque Natural de Sierra Nevada and lies on the south side of the mountain range, at the confluence of the Río Guadalfeo and its tributary the Río Chico. It is a market town that traditionally has always supplied the entire region. The appearance of the town and the local lifestyle are a perfect combination of modern and traditional.
Although all the historical references seem to indicate that this town was founded in the Arab period, the origins of Órgiva go much further back in time. It has been linked with the Greek colony of Exoche, mentioned by Ptolemy.
During the Nasrid period it took the name of Albastch, (which means plain), and for several centuries it was called Albacete de Órgiva. In 1492 King Ferdinand gave it to Boabdil as a place to which he could retire. During the revolt of the Moors, during the reign of Philip II, a famous scene took place in the tower of the mansion of the Counts of Sástago. The governor Gaspar de Sarabia and 160 men, women and children, resisted a 17-day siege by rebels led by Aben Farag.
Local specialities include Pimentón de bacalao, Ajo tostado, Remojón, Choto al colorín and Tortas de higo.