Morelábor

Tourist informationHistoryGastronomy

Established in 1974 by the union of the old city councils of Moreda and Laborcillas, the main town of the municipality of Morelábor is Moreda. Its name comes from the union of the first two syllables of the names of both towns.

Laborcillas was an old farmstead that belonged to the Marquis de Villa Alegre, which was built for his sporadic visits to the area and became the most remarkable house in the village. His land went as far as the ravine at the foot of the Cerro de Fonseca, where years ago the Ermita de San José was turned into the parish church.

The municipality includes a third town near Moreda, which has become one of the most important railway junctions in eastern Andalusia. The lines that come from Granada and Almeria converge here, and go from here towards Linares-Baeza and Madrid.

This town has many archaeological sites. There are well-preserved tombs in the Cerro de los Castellanos, in Paraje de Los Eriales, in the Placeta de los Naranjos and in the Cortijo de Fonseca. In the latter there is a necropolis with a number of tombs. You can also visit the Iglesia Parroquial de la Anunciación and the Iglesia Parroquial de San José.

The archaeological sites found here prove the existence of human settlements over 5,000 years ago. The present site of the towns of Moreda and Larbocillas goes back to the Arab period. It was conquered by the Catholic Monarchs in 1485. Like all the land around Guadix, Moreda was also given by the Catholic Monarchs to men who had played an important role in the Reconquista; Moreda and Larbocillas were given to the Contreras Benavides family.

Since then, the area has always been in the hands of landowners. In the last two centuries the buildings and the surrounding territory belonged to the Marquis of Motilla, who had to give permission to his tenants if the wanted to build new windows or doors in their houses. For decades the town was constrained by their own limitations for not providing land for the construction of new houses. This was the reason that led to the municipality officially confiscating several plots of estate land in 1987. The first 5000 square meters were symbolically occupied by the city to build new schools.

Game, such as rabbit, is a popular ingredient in local dishes. Other typical specialities include Puchero, Migas, Gachas, Pimentón and tortilla.

SEARCH BY GEOLOCATION

Information about the Municipality

Region: Guadix and El Marquesado
Postcode: 18540
Distance from Granada (km): 60
Number of inhabitants: 847
People: Moredanos o Laborcilleros
Web: www.morelabor.es

PLANEA TU VIAJE

Filter by:

Iglesia de la Anunciación (Moreda)

Morelábor

This church was built in 1554 on the site of a former chapel. The successive refurbishment and restructuring projects during the 18th century gave rise to what we see today. It is built in the shape of a Latin cross [...]

Iglesia parroquial de San José (Laborcillas)

Morelábor

This church has a single nave and whitewashed walls both inside and outside. It has an Arab-tile hipped roof.

Cruz del Polígono las Eras

Morelábor

This is a religious structure built in 1659. It has a stone pedestal with inscriptions engraved on all four of its sides.

La Casa del Marqués o casa del conde Torralba

Morelábor

Recorded as the Tercia de Moreda, the Casa del Marqués was built during the last years of the Reconquista. Today it has been restored and serves as the local town hall. Its architecture integrates residential, agricultural and religious styles. It [...]

Religious niches

Morelábor

These small niches containing religious images are tucked into the façades of various houses around town. Most of them date back to the 17th century.

Summer Fair

Morelábor

In the second weekend of August they celebrate the Summer Fair commemorating the Santa Cruz in the population centre of Moreda. The celebration program has a solemn mass and the expected night parties, among other acts.



Login

Registro | Contraseña perdida?