Montejícar

Tourist informationHistoryGastronomy

Montejícar is located on the banks of the Río Guadahortuna in the foothills of the Sierra de Lucena, the natural boundary of the province of Granada and Jaen. It is an interesting town with its 16th century Iglesia Parroquial de San Andrés, and the ruins of its medieval castle.

Montejícar is surrounded by a sea of olive groves. Much of the population lives from agriculture, especially from olives and olive oil production.

The name Montejícar comes from the Arabic word Shicar which later turned into Hisn Monte Saquer, a mix of the Latin Mons Sacer (holy mountain) and the Arab word for the Castle of Monte Sagrado.

A fascinating Roman archaeological site has been discovered in the municipality where remains of Iberian, Roman, Caliphate, Almohad and Nazari pottery have been excavated.

During the Muslim period it played a key role in defending the entire territory of the Kingdom of Granada and became an important military settlement. A 9th-century castle once stood here, of which few traces remain today including a quadrangular tower and part of a wall and a gate.

The Catholic Monarchs conquered the town in 1486. Twelve years later it became one of the seven towns forced to supply Granada with food, together with Montefrío Íllora, Moclín, Colomera, Iznalloz and Guadahortuna. After the expulsion of the Moors it was almost entirely depopulated. Repopulation began during the reign of Carlos I and consequently it enjoyed a significant economic boom.

Thanks to the continental climate of the area Migas, Gachas Pucheros are popular, as is game. If your visit coincides with a local festival, you can also try delicacies such as Choto and Guiso de tarbinas. Delicious cakes are also made for some local celebrations.

SEARCH BY GEOLOCATION

Information about the Municipality

Region: Guadix and El Marquesado
Postcode: 18561
Distance from Granada (km): 62
Number of inhabitants: 2615
People: Montejiqueños
Web: aytomontejicar.es
Filter by:

Ermita de la Virgen de la Cabeza

Montejícar

This chapel is located on the Cerro de la Virgen hill, also known as the Cerro de la Ermita. The chapel is dedicated to the Virgen de la Cabeza, the patron saint of the town, and was built in 1636.

Iglesia parroquial de San Andrés

Montejícar

This monumental church, built between 1539 and 1542, has three naves. Shortly after this, its tower – that is 35 metres high with seven floors in stonework – was built. The church underwent major repair works in 1642. In 1936 [...]

Roman bridge

Montejícar

This bridge runs over the Río Guadahortuna, a tributary of the Río Guadiana Menor. It was part of a Roman road that linked Montejícar with Jaén. Here you can also see the remains of a defensive tower and part of [...]

Celebrations in honour of Nuestra Señora la Virgen de la Cabeza

Montejícar

During these celebrations there are performances of a sacramental play. It is the Moors and Christians, a play divided in three parts that makes reference to the Christian conquest of this region.



Login

Registro | Contraseña perdida?