Campotéjar

Tourist informationHistoryGastronomy

The municipality borders with the Hoya de Guadix and the province of Jaen. For a long time it was the border between the Christian and Muslim kingdoms. It has a colourful and interesting history which has been absorbed by the local culture and has influenced its celebrations and traditions.

The town has an fascinating past and some interesting sights. The Iglesia Parroquial del Cristo de la Expiración, La Casa Grande, El Pilar and el Cerro Castellón are all worth visiting.

The archaeological remains found in the Cerro Castellón show that this area was inhabited during the Copper Age. However, there is a lack of information about settlements here from the Bronze Age until the Muslim occupation in the 11th century. In the Moorish period it was on border with the Christian territories, so a fortified castle was built to defend the area, of which nothing remains today.

For years the town was continually harassed by Catholic troops and in 1486 the troops led by Don Fadrique de Toledo, the most talented general of Fernando the Catholic, took the town. Two years later, the Catholic Monarchs gave the town to Don Alonso Venegas who took charge of the rebuilding of the castle. In 1490 the Count of Tendilla strengthened it further after declaring war on King Boabdil. In 1609, Don Pedro de Granada y Venegas ruled over Campotéjar.

Campotéjar’s cuisine uses the plentiful local olives and an international olive oil fair is held here. Traditional dishes include Gachas, Migas de Segador, Guisado de Manitas de Cerdo and Torta de Carda. Special desserts includes, Rocos, fritters, Borrachuelos and Nochebuenos (olive oil bread with raisins).

SEARCH BY GEOLOCATION

Information about the Municipality

Region: Guadix and El Marquesado
Postcode: 18565
Distance from Granada (km): 73
Number of inhabitants: 1441
People: Calahorreños
Web: www.campotejar.es

PLANEA TU VIAJE

Filter by:

Iglesia parroquial del Cristo de la Expiración

Campotéjar

This Mudejar-style church was built in the 16th century, most probably on the site of a former mosque of a farmhouse. Part of its original coffered ceiling still remains today, as do some pieces of art. It has a single [...]

El Pilar

Campotéjar

This fountain dates back to the 16th century when the Catholic Monarchs granted the passage of royal cattle through here. Today the fountain has six pipes and bears the coats of arms of the Marquis of Campotéjar.

Celebrations in honour of the Virgen de los Remedios

Campotéjar

In this celebration is interesting the tradition of “La Carrerilla de la Virgen” in which the “tiradores” participate, who are the ones in charge of carrying the carving, and the arcabuceros.  



Login

Registro | Contraseña perdida?