This municipality is on the western edge of the Hoya de Guadix. It is located at the foot of a small hill near the Río de las Juntas, which crosses from Campotéjar and flows towards Colomera. Its landscape includes mountains, meadows, rivers and valleys. The town is very beautiful and the archaeological remains of an Iberian settlement are very interesting.
Archaeological finds suggest that the area was inhabited by the Iberian people. Traces of Roman settlements have also been found, including coins and a bust of Emperor Trajan. During Arab times the town became very important as it was strategically located between the kingdoms of Granada and Jaen. It was conquered by the Christians in 1486 and was the site of many local skirmishes.
Later it was given to the Fernán Sancho del Canaveral. He established the post of mayor of Benalúa and held one of the most significant aristocratic titles in the history of the province, the counts of Benalúa. In the early 20th century one illustrious member of the family, the Duke of San Pedro Galatino, created some of Granada’s most interesting structures in terms of architecture and engineering, such as the Alhambra Palace hotel, the Sierra Nevada tram (now defunct) and the Carretera al Pico Veleta.
For some years Benalúa de las Villas suffered a massive decrease in population until settlers from other parts of the kingdom migrated here.