This bridge was built between 1889 and 1895 to a design created in the workshop of the French architect Gustave Eiffel. For many decades it was the longest and highest bridge in the Spanish railway network. Its impressive length of 623 metres is due to the fact that it was built to avoid destroying a ravine that is over a hundred metres deep. It links the exit of the tunnel marking the border of the province of Jaén with the felling station of Alamedilla and Guadahortuna.
Currently the bridge is not in use because a more modern one was built to replace it in the 1970s.