In 1536 work began on the church in Mecina Fondales, possibly on the site of a former mosque. In 1547 land for the new church was purchased and in 1564 the inside was decorated with glazed ceramic detailing on the steps, the parapet, the main altar and smaller altars.
The church has a single rectangular nave with side chapels; the main chapel is separated by a triumphal arch. The ceilings are simple throughout, although some of them are painted. The walls are made of brick and the outside is whitewashed. The tower is located to one side of the building.