Very near the site of this present-day church built between the 18th and the mid-19th centuries, there was a small chapel that depended on the parish of Fonelas. In 1832 the Hermandad de Ánimas y del Santísimo Sacramento brotherhood built this church, which explains the reason why it is dedicated to the Virgen del Carmen. There has always been a link between the Virgen del Carmen and the suffering souls in purgatory.
The church we see today was built between 1858 and 1864 and was dedicated to the Virgen del Carmen on 6th February 1864. It was built by the architect Francisco Contreras in neo-Mudejar style in brick and stone, with a wooden ceiling. Next to the bell tower, behind the chancel, there is a vestry with an altar on either side. To accommodate the large congregation, a perpendicular nave was added in 1965.
In 1868 there was a restructuring in the diocese and this church became the parish church and was dedicated to Mary of the Annunciation. It kept that name until 1988 when the Bishopric gave the church its original name of Nuestra Señora del Carmen back again.