This church was built between 1510 and 1514 on the site of the old Alixara Mosque, in an area to the north of the Moorish town centre. Its construction was the work the master craftsman from Granada, Alonso Márquez. He built this simple Gothic-Mudejar church with a rectangular nave and high arches. It has four pairs of side chapels between the buttresses, and a slightly wider chancel. The chancel disappeared in the early 17th century, because in 1603 the church was made larger by adding its classical transept.
Sadly an explosion on 21st January 1938 destroyed a large part of the building. The reconstruction of the church began after the Civil War, when part of the simplicity of the original Moorish temple was recreated. It is included in the Spanish Heritage of Cultural Interest catalogue.