This convent belongs to an order of cloistered Franciscan nuns. It is located on the site of a former Arab souk, and for this reason its main entrance is via the Alcazaba. Large historic houses currently surround the convent, because it was in this area of town that Spanish nobles tended to live.
The convent dates back to the 16th century, but it suffered damage from a fire in 1667 and was subsequently rebuilt. The convent church dates back to the 17th century and has a single nave with a vaulted ceiling with small windows. Inside there is a statue of Our Lady of Sorrows, whose face belonged to the original sculpture of the Virgin, a work by Torcuato Ruiz of Pera, destroyed in the Civil War.