This cloister was built at the beginning of the 16th century by royal decree. Today it is used as an inner patio of the Hospital Civil de San Francisco. It was part of the convent until 1835, when the Leyes Desamortizadoras laws were introduced.
Philosophy was taught here, and since then it has always been associated with the celebrations of Holy Week in Loja, together with Capilla de la Vera Cruz chapel (previously it was known as the Capilla de la Sangre de Cristo). From 1768 the orders of Hermandad de Jesús Preso and of Nuestra Señora de los Dolores have been based here.