This house dates back to the 16th century. It is made up of two buildings connected by an arch. Both Moorish and Christian elements can be detected in the architecture and decoration of the building. It has been recorded that some of the arches and columns used here were taken from the Islamic palace Dar al-Bayda (The White House).
Casa del Chapiz owes its name to its owners, the Moorish Lorenzo ‘El Chapiz’ and Hernándo López ‘El Ferí’. The School for Arabic Studies has been based here since 1932.