Carmen del Aljibe del Rey is located in a building with a large garden and a number of smaller outbuildings. The largest cistern in the Albaicín district is located under the courtyard next to the main building, which lends the centre its name.
With a capacity of 300 cubic metres, the cistern used to be supplied by a branch of the Aynadamar irrigation channel from Alfacar.
The centre is divided into various sections:
- Water and agricultural landscapes: water in agriculture, with a particular focus on irrigation in Andalucía.
- Water in motion: the traditional mills and water as a source of energy.
- The Aynadamar irrigation channel and the traditional water supply to the Albaicín district.
- The network of cisterns in the Albaicín district.
- Historical development of Granada around the Río Darro.