The Cathedral of Granada is the first Renaissance church in Spain and is one of the finest examples of its type. The Catholic Kings began building it in 1492, intending for it to echo the Gothic style of the Cathedral in Toledo.
In 1528, Diego de Siloé was entrusted with the project, and designed a new floor plan in the Spanish Renaissance style. Nearly two hundred years later, in 1704, the building was finally completed.
Only one of the two towers that Siloé had designed was finally built, and the work was stopped after it reached 57 metres in height (instead of the intended 81 metres). The main façade is a masterpiece of Baroque created by Alonso Cano in 1667.
The five naves and their aisles are all particularly impressive. There are two spectacular baroque organs in the central nave.