The Antigua Casa de Cabildos is located in the Plaza de la Constitución, the historic centre of this Renaissance town. It was the headquarters of Loja’s town council for 437 years, from its construction in 1490 until 1927, the year in which the town council moved to the Palacio de Narváez.
Currently it houses the municipal library. Its classical façade is particularly noteworthy and typical of neo-Christian public buildings in Loja. It has been restored several times, but largely retains its original features.