This fortress was first built at the beginning of the 11th century marking one of the borders of the Taifas kingdoms. It received its name because of the great number of towers it had when it was initially built. Towards 1325 the fortress was reinforced with the impressive Torre del Homenaje.
After 1492 this site became the residence of the local governor. For this reason, the Torre del Homenaje was reinforced by adding mortar stones. Two new floors were also added. In addition, the entire fortress was topped with battlements. An earthquake, in September of 1531, destroyed the Eastern wall and its tower.
Throughout its history, the building has been used as a house, a stable, a barn and a factory, probably always to avoid its demolition. In 1973 it was declared an official National Monument of Artistic and National Interest, which ensured its restoration a short time later.
La Alcazaba was part of the network of defensive buildings in Granada’s high mountain ranges. It is believed that it is connected via underground tunnels to both the Atalaya de la Umbría and the Atalaya del Salar watchtowers.
Today, the fortress is used as an exhibition space.